Friday, April 2, 2010

Taking Stock of My “Cellar”


Much as you would find with fine wines, certain beers take well to aging or “cellaring.” Barleywines, Anniversary Ales, Special Editions – it does a zymurgists soul well to know there is a bevy of choices for a special occasion near at hand. There is even a growing sub-culture devoted to the patient trade of such esoteric delights. A bit of a novice due to my space limitations, I still manage to maintain a small collection:

Stone Vertical Epic Series 06.06.06 – 8.66% ABV

Stone Vertical Epic Series 07.07.07 – 8.4% ABV

Stone Vertical Epic Series 08.08.08 – 8.6% ABV

Stone Vertical Epic Series 09.09.09 – 8.6% ABV

Fishtale Leviathan Barleywine 2004 – 10% ABV

Full Sail Old Boardhead Barleywine 2005 – 9% ABV / 91 IBUs

Stone Old Guardian Barleywine 2006 – 11.26% ABV

Deschutes The Abyss Imperial Stout 2007 – 11% ABV

Port Brewing Santa’s Little Helper Imperial Stout 2008 – 9.5% ABV

Fantome Belgian Saison 2009 – 8% ABV

Unibroue Trader Joe’s Vintage Ale 2009 – 9% ABV


I eagerly anticipate the day I choose to open all of these alongside their current incarnations and discover how time has treated them. The Stone Vertical Epic Series concludes on December 12, 2012 so that will be a particularly glorious day. The Fantome is being saved for the next time my friend Tom is in town. I just need an excuse for the others!

1 comment:

  1. Have a good start now you just need to make more space :-)

    Here's my fledgling cellar:
    http://www.simplybeer.com/blog/the-beer-cellar/

    ReplyDelete