Monday, April 12, 2010

Seattle Mini Beercation (pt 1)

My girlfriend and I packed up the car last Friday and headed across the state to Seattle. The main reason for our trip was to see a concert by Sigur Rós singer Jónsi, but, as with all of my adventures outside of Spokane, it quickly turned into a mini beercation.

We arrived at our friends house around six on Friday evening and decided it was time for dinner. We drove to the Bamboo Garden on Queen Anne and had some delicious vegan food. It cracks me up that the menu still reads “Mongolian beef” and “general Tso’s chicken”. Thoroughly full, we headed towards Pike Place to purchase our tickets for a theater sports performance and then headed upstairs to the Pike Brewing Company Pub and Brewery to wait for the performance to begin.

Seeing that they had their IPA on cask, I couldn’t resist. The creamy head and golden amber liquid yielded a floral and pine aroma, albeit subdued. The malt backbone was sweet and filling with tones of toffee and the hops were apparent but subtly balanced by the low carbonation. I have frequented the Pike when I am in Seattle and have never been disappointed by their many ales, but this was by far the most pleasant drinking experience I had in their pub.

Thirsty Zymurgist Score: 45/50 (6.3% ABV / 60 IBUs)

I have to add that Unexpected Productions is running a fine theater sports program with many talented actors and actresses. Well worth the twelve dollars and just down from the back door to the Pike, take the opportunity to check it out for a night of hearty laughter, if you are a fan of such things.

No comments:

Post a Comment