Saturday, April 3, 2010

Green Flash Brewing - Hop Head Red Ale



6.4% ABV / 45 IBUs

After a long work week, it is always nice to reward oneself with a frosty beverage. Just as I was contemplating what bottle to open, I was lucky enough to receive three beers as presents from my girlfriend and got to start my weekend off with my first taste of Green Flash’s offerings, and a winner of the 2008 World Beer Cup American Amber/Red category at that!

The color tended towards a strawberry rose, more dark pink than red. The golden head poured thick and retained well. Strong citrus and green moss tones accompany the predominate smell of pine. The malt asserts itself in the initial wash, hinting at caramel and toffee syrup before the big bubbles bring on the hop qualities and then lingering alcohol accompanies the pine aftertaste.

Overall, if you are in the mood for something ruby colored and hop assertive, give this one a quaff.

Thirsty Zymurgist Score: 44/50

No comments:

Post a Comment