Monday, April 5, 2010

Hockey + Craft Beer = Happy Zymurgist


Last week I went to a Spokane Chiefs hockey game with my girlfriend and another couple. The Chiefs lost in overtime, ending their season, but there was another disappointment on my mind: the lack of any local breweries being represented inside of the arena. If I want to stand in line at the hideously understaffed concession stands through intermission and into the next period, I would prefer to do it for a tasty ale. If you leave that up to the arena, they will inevitably bring in a “craft” beer that is actually owned by one of the macroswill conglomerates. For the last time, Blue Moon is not a true craft beer, nor does it taste good.

I think there is prime opportunity for a local brewery to start pushing to see a few tap handles with their names on them at the arena. One of the things I enjoyed about seeing a Canucks game in Vancouver a couple years ago is that although they had the obligatory macroswill (albeit Canadian,) there were three different local breweries with small stands dotted throughout the arena. Despite not selling any other concessions, the craft beer stands were well attended and only a few pale watery lagers could be spotted leaving the other stands. Given a choice, people choose better beer.

I imagine that the Spokane Arena is locked into a contract restricting beer sales to just one vendor, seeing as how much beer is consumed there and how lucrative it must be. But a local brewery would have a great argument for having their ales available alongside the macroswill and would be well rewarded because of the mark-up they could charge (and I would pay.) Take into account that between successful arena football and major junior hockey teams, as well as concerts, the taps would be flowing year-round and it seems like a local brewery would want to be a part of that action.

So, I have a message and a question for local breweries and the arena: I want craft beer while I watch my beloved Chiefs and I am willing to pay for it. Who wants to take my money?

No comments:

Post a Comment