Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Redemption for an Ale House


Outside of documenting my adventures with beer as I train to become a Master Brewer, I would hope that this blog could serve as a way to foster a community surrounding local breweries and ale houses in Eastern Washington and anywhere else my travels might take me. That is why it hung in my conscience that I spoke poorly of a local Spokane establishment. When the opportunity arose to return to the Post Street Ale House, I eagerly took it as my duty to give them a second try.

My friend and I came in on a Monday night, but the place was well attended. We got situated near a television where we could keep an eye on the hockey game and the service was courteous and prompt. Within just a few minutes, we had ales in hand; delivered in exceptionally clean glasses. I knew it would be to my detriment to dismiss the Post Street Ale House due to one dirty glass on a previous experience and as we ordered our second round, I was feeling the potential of the place and was glad that I had made a return visit. There will be more to come.

As for my ale, I chose the Deschutes Red Chair Northwest Pale Ale. Bright copper in color with a sturdy head, Red Chair has a significant and complex body due to the use of seven different malt varieties. Make no mistake, Red Chair is very hop-forward; but with a focus on citrus tones while the bitterness is balanced by the nuanced malt profile. With the alcohol content being just slightly higher than average, Deschutes seasonal goes down smooth and it is easy to find ones glass empty.

Thirsty Zymurgist Score: 43/50

No comments:

Post a Comment