Monday, April 19, 2010

The Quest Fulfilled


After exchanging emails with Bernie at Golden Hills, I was well informed of the local bars that would have the World Beer Cup Bronze Medal winning Ben’s Brown Lager on draught. When one on that list was a recently opened public house on the south hill with a title no less than “The Hop Shop,” I decided to combine experiences and try them both at the same time.

The Hop Shop recently opened just two weeks ago and by its small size and comfortable ambiance appears to aim at being a neighborhood establishment. On a Saturday night we found it over-full and were forced to stand at a window ledge for the first two-thirds of our pints. Not that I mind: I was quite pleased to see the place hopping, pardon the pun. I was even more pleased to see that the tap selection was dominated by local breweries. Once a spot opened up at the bar, the staff gave my girlfriend and I preferential treatment over a guy who had walked in just seconds before while remaining courteous to all parties and, although quite busy, took the time to chat with all of their patrons. Excellent selection, excellent staff, and overall excellent craic: I most definitely wish that I still lived just a mile away, although I am not convinced that it would be a good thing. Regardless, I foresee multiple trips to The Hop Shop in my future.

As for the Golden Hills Ben’s Brown, my anticipation was not in vain. A pint poured properly with patience, the lager was true to a reddish brown hue and had a small but dense head that retained well down the glass. Caramel and smoked wood combined with mildly salty tones and bready sweetness smoothly transition into a subtle but defined hop profile; earthy, green and succulent. The malted grain lingered on the tongue for just long enough and the overall experience was quite delightful. While it is true that there were only a limited amount of entries into the American Dark Lager category at the World Beer Cup this year, Ben’s Brown deservedly found a place on the podium.

Thirsty Zymurgist Score: 46/50

No comments:

Post a Comment