Saturday, April 24, 2010

St. Bernardus Prior 8


8% ABV

Being a huge hockey fan, this is my favorite time of year. The first round of the playoffs is always exciting because there are multiple games being played everyday for almost two weeks. This year has provided an exceptionally high level of competition and leaves me wondering how anyone could battle like all the teams have been for another month and a half to hoist the Stanley Cup. I will admit my bias, but I do believe that the Cup is the hardest trophy to earn in all of sports.

I digress, and I could easily continue doing so. Where I am trying to steer this post is to expound my belief that nothing goes better with a game of hockey than a tasty craft beer. Although the Molson drinkers out there would disagree, the fine complexities of a craft beer reflect the intricacies of hockey far better than any boring macro could ever hope to (not to mention that craft beer tastes better).

Perusing my stock before tuning in to the game, I decided I was in the mood for something substantially malty so I reached for the Prior 8. St. Bernardus has a well-earned reputation for the quality of their beers and I have long been a fan of their Tripel and Abt 12 so I was excited to try another from their line.

Pouring a dark brown with a substantial head, the nose is filled with chocolate and nutty tones accompanied by a whiff of clove and brandy. The flavor is dominated by the intriguing malt profile; sweet, bready and filling but not without many complexities including raisins, banana, various spices and dry red wine. The earthy hop presence becomes apparent at the back of the palate and it finishes dry on the tongue despite the residual sweetness. I definitely enjoyed my Prior 8 but was not as thoroughly impressed as I have been with previous St. Bernardus brews.

Thirsty Zymurgist Score: 44/50

No comments:

Post a Comment