Saturday, April 3, 2010

A Note on Scoring

In an attempt to lend some credibility to a blog that is essentially about imbibing alcohol, I will be putting into use the 50 point scoring system established by the American Homebrewers Association (AHA) and Beer Judge Certification Program (BJCP).

The judging criteria are based on the ability of a beer to display the characteristics of a recognized style without any detectable flaws, rather than relying on a judge’s personal taste. As I am working towards my BJCP qualification (currently rank: uncertified novice) and informing myself of the nuances of individual styles (there are over 80 currently recognized), my hope is that my scores will become more refined and more closely reflect those of a National Grand Master Beer Judge.

Scoring Guide:

45-50 Outstanding – World-class example of style

38-44 Excellent – Exemplifies style well, requires minor fine-tuning

30-37 Very Good – Generally within style parameters, some minor flaws

21-29 Good – Misses the mark of style and/or minor flaws

14-20 Fair – Off flavors, aromas or major style differences

0-13 Problematic – Major off flavors and aromas dominate


Possible Points per Category:

12 - Aroma

3 - Appearance

20 - Flavor

5 - Mouthfeel

10 - Overall Impression


As I will be mostly critiquing professionally brewed beers, I suspect most of my scores to be in the Excellent to Outstanding range.


Sláinte!

No comments:

Post a Comment